So, after the longest countdown of all time, I am finally here! Costa Rica is amazing. No picture can give this country justice. You have to see it for yourself. My first flight out of Minneapolis was great, I had the whole row to myself. I then had a 4 hour layover in Houston, where I decided to indulge in my last servings of Starbucks and Toll House cookies for the next 2 1/2 months. On my next flight, I sat next to a nice couple that was going to vacation in CR. They decided to change from their annual destination of Mexico which was probably a good choice. At times, I was saying my prayers because there was some crazy turbulence. I could actually see the lightning in the clouds below the plane from outside of the window. I finally landed safe and sound. Jorge, my program coordinator, was patiently waiting for me. I thought it would be an awkward ride but we ended up talking the entire way to my hostel in Bagaces. He is a really nice guy and will do anything to help us have a good experience here! The hostel I am staying at is called Bull House, and is actually way nicer than I expected. I have my own room, bathroom, AC, cable tv, and wireless Internet. Pretty sweet for only $22 a night! My hostel is in Bagaces which is about 30 minutes from Liberia, where I flew in. This is a very safe town and the people here have been wonderful in helping me even though my Spanish speaking sucks, as of right now. I bummed around the town a bit and it is very small. There really isn't much to do here. I did exchange some of my dinero into colones. It takes a while to get used to the money difference. The exchange is around 560 colones per dollar. Jorge, who is in his 30's, was telling me that when he was growing up it was 20 colones to the dollar. Hmmm...wow, little bit of a difference huh? Anyway, the water is drinkable both in Bagaces and Miramar which makes things easier. I have had a couple of great meals that consisted of rice and beans of course! Yum! I am incredibly excited for all the fruit as well!
Today, I went to my school with Jorge to help clean things up a bit. It was about a 2 hour drive from Bagaces. MIRAMAR is beautiful. Every house is painted a different vibrant color and has a garden with flowers. Since it is the rainy season, all of the vegetation is bright green and flourishing. My school is completely unlike a typical school. It is called AREMI and is a local community center. It is equipped with a pool, sand volleyball and basketball courts and soon to be roller skate park. We will have classes outside in an open hut like building, which is so refreshing since our school days will be about 8 hours long.
Jorge told me that my family is amazing and that my host mother is "the best" and a great cook. I can't wait to meet them on Saturday. I will write more about them later...
As for the rest of the weekend, Friday: the other 15 girls from my group get in. Marielos (the program director) has a house in Bagaces so we are going there for a picnic/orientation day. I guess she has a waterfall in her back yard so that will be amazing. Then, Saturday, we all pack up and leave to meet our host families in Miramar. Can't wait!
More after the weekend :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am officially JEALOUS!!! ahh oh man, this sounds absolutely amazing :)
ReplyDeleteNews from the EC:
Not a whole lot really, haha, there has been a lot of moving... which brings out all of the dumpster divers... its like they have been crawling out of the ummm gutters! Its rather creepy... as for the new place, we are slowly but surely moving in, the landlord is working on painting and then should have the carpets cleaned (should be replacing them, its like they are straight out of the 70's) by tuesday.
Other than that, you havent mised out on much... other than my parents are paying for me to go sky diving this sunday!! ahh I'm so excited :)
Hope all is well, love you long time!
An apple a day keeps the monkeys away!
ReplyDelete